Sunday 11 November 2012

"I love it when a plan comes together."

Whenever I make a work 'plan' it always falls flat on its face, always! It's almost as though I subconsciously rebel against any sort of structure I make for myself but I'm giving it another shot anyway! I decided to get off my backside and focus on really developing as an artist after being inspired by the recent work of my friends and fellow illustrators Dave Hooper, Ondrej Buchta, and Tom Heard. These guys are the biz, check 'em out!

So, I've put together a fairly simple plan that'll cover the next few weeks and it's mainly focused on studying anatomy...yay. It may be a bit of a task but I believe that if you apply yourself to studying anatomy, it can be a lot of fun. There's also plenty of fantastic resources out there that have been created to teach and inform artists about the human body.

I've accumulated a small selection of anatomy books over the past few years which to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time studying from. All of these books are visual varied and take various approaches to studying and learning anatomy but they are all grounded in a solid understand of the body. Among this small selection of books is Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis. This book is very highly recommended as Loomis himself had a fantastic understanding of human anatomy and teaches all the way from the keys elements like figure balance, proportion and placing in perspective all the way depicting the figure in dynamic poses with particular light sources. Anyway, I could ramble for a while, check this book out. You can buy it for fairly cheap online or grab a PDF from somewhere.

My rough study plan goes a bit like this on the anatomy study side of things:
General Anatomy - 6 days
Head -10 days
Upper Torso - 10 days
Lower Torso & Legs - 10 days
Arms & Hands - 10 days
This takes me through to the start of January...and then I'll do it again!

Thanks muchos!

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment