Friday 11 February 2011

Aquatint print


So finally I have scanned in one of my prints from aquatinting. I don't like it as much as the original image because it looks like my face has been steamrollered but for a first attempt I'm quite satisfied.

The Aquatinting process
So, 'What is aquatinting?' I hear you ask...well maybe not but I'm going to tell you anyway. It's an intaglio printing process where different levels of tone are created by exposing areas of the plate to nitric acid for different periods of time. You begin by paintng in the white areas with straw hat varnish and then exposing the plate to the acid for a duration of time, it's confusing because I had to paint black varnish on the 'to be' white areas! Anyway, you work your way through the shades of grey until you reach a very dark grey/black and then ink it up and print, voila!
So, lets move on now that I've bored you enough!

The Love of Seven Dolls - illustration project
I'm working on illustrating Paul Gallico's The Love of Seven Dolls for my main illustration module at the moment, have I already mentioned this? I'm hoping to use aquatinting to produce my final book illustrations and for the front cover...well I don't actually know yet but it'll work itself out.

So that's that for now. Thanks.

God bless,

Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment